Nice high protein vegetarian dish
- 1 cup chopped red onion, plus 1 1-inch thick slice (for cooking water)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus 3 parsley sprigs (for cooking water)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 cup halved cherry (or grape) tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the balsamic vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- COOK LENTILS: Add 2 1/2 cups of water to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add onion, parsley sprigs and minced garlic and bring to a boil. Stir in lentils, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered until lentils are tender (about 20-25 minutes). Drain and discard onion and parsley.
- MAKE VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, vinegar, mustard and garlic until combined. Pour into a sauce pan (I just used the same pan used to cook the lentils) and heat on low until just warmed (do not boil).
- ASSEMBLE: Place warm lentils in a serving bowl. Add cucumber, tomatoes, chopped parsley, 1/4 cup feta and warm vinaigrette and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup feta and serve.
- Serving Size: makes 4 servings