A versatile recipe that uses fresh garden vegetables. This quick dinner salad can be made with shrimp, or with garbanzo beans as a vegetarian option. Add shredded carrots, peas, or veggies of your choice to make this dish even healthier.
- Ingredients for salad
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free low sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups (one 5.8-ounce box) plain couscous
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 2/3 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup diced radishes
- 1/2 cup english cucumber seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley julienne
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or chopped pecans
- Radish slices for garnish (optional)
- Ingredients for dressing
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- For the salad, bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork, and transfer to a larger bowl; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, toast pine nuts or pecans in a dry skillet over medium-heat, stirring frequently. As soon as the nuts become fragrant, remove them from the pan.
- Add chicken, onions, radishes, cucumber, parsley, and nuts to the couscous; toss gently to combine.
- For the dressing, whisk all ingredients together. Drizzle over salad, and toss to combine. Serve in bowls topped with a garnish of radish slices.