This Chickpea Salad is a great, delicious and easy vegetarian salad that I do quite often, especially for gatherings as it can be made ahead of time. You can definitely make variations to this recipe, adjust it according to your tastes, add any other seeds or add some lemon juice, use yogurt or cream cheese instead of mayo, in any case it is very tasty, flavorful, healthy and nutritious.
Makes about 4 servings
2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 green onions,chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (no shell)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 tsp salt, or more if needed
Freshly ground black pepper
1 organic egg yolk
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 cup cold pressed sunflower oil
1. Place the rinsed chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor and mix just a few to achieve a chunky consistency. No need for full mash. In case you don’t have a food processor you can use a potato masher or even a fork.
2. In a medium bowl combine chickpeas with onions, garlic, red pepper, seeds, salt and pepper.
3. Make the homemade mayonnaise. Put the egg yolk and the mustard in a small bowl. Mix and gradually add oil while mixing until all oil is well incorporated.
4. Add mayonnaise over the chickpea salad and stir to combine.
5. Serve with pita chips, crackers,toast bread, wraps or whatever else you prefer. I’ve made Pita Bread Chips, recipe here, but this time I’ve made them with no oil, just sprinkled some paprika on top of chips.
For the full recipe check my blog: