Forbidden or black rice can be found in the Asian aisle at your market. It’s rich in antioxidants and has a lovely chewy texture. In a pinch you can switch it out with Jasmine or Brown rice.
- 1. 2 cups black rice
- 2. 3.75 cups water
- 3. pinch of salt
- 4. 1 head of cauliflower, broken into bite size florets
- 5. 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 6. 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 7. 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 8. 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 9. 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 10. 2 Tablespoons fresh minced tarragon
- 11. 10 cups mixed baby salad greens
- Place the rice, water and salt in a rice cooker and set to cook. Alternatively cook in a pot, bringing the water to a boil, then reducing to a simmer. Cover pot and cook until water is absorbed and the rice is tender. About 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the cauliflower and cook without stirring until charred on bottom side, about 3 minutes, then turn and repeat. Add 2 Tablespoons of water, cover the skillet and cook for another 2-3 minutes until cauliflower is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl combine: zest, lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard and 5 tablespoons olive oil. Whisk until emulsified, then season with salt and pepper to waste.
- When the rice is done and still warm, toss with half of the dressing, then add the tarragon.
- Let rice cool for 10 minutes, then add the cauliflower and the remaining dressing.
- Serve over greens