Eileen and Cody were out Christmas shopping when they stopped for a snack and had a lovely bean salad. The next weekend they craved said bean salad. They went to the cupboard to see what was there and this is what they came up with.This is high in protein and low in fat. It’s nice hearty main course salad or use smaller portions for a side or a snack.
- 1 can bean medley (2.25 cup) (chick peas, red kidney beans, romano beans, black eyed peas)
- 1 sm can corn, 1.5 cup (or fresh!)
- 1 sm can flaked light Tuna in water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 chopped tomato
- 3 finely chopped baby carrots (we would have added chopped sweet red pepper, but we were all out)
- 1/4 c fresh finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- .5 tsp chili flakes (or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain beans and corn and put in a large salad bowl. Drain the tuna and break up into small pieces into the bowl. Add chopped vegetables: onion, tomato, carrots and cilantro and/or parsley.
- In a small bowl whisk together oil, lemon and lime juice, oregano, cumin, chili flakes and salt and pepper. Pour over salad. Gently toss.
- Serving Size: makes 4 – 250 g servings