- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup red onion, grated and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- cup dry breadcrumbs
- Rinse quinoa under cool water for couple of minutes in fine sieve to remove bitterness. Put in rice cooker with just over 1 and 1/3 cups water and set to cook.
- Transfer to food processor fitted with metal blade. Add beans, onion, cilantro, 1 tablespoon of oil, garlic, jalapeno, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Form into six 1/2-inch thick patties. Place bread crumbs in shallow bowl. Press patties into crumbs, turning to coat both sides.
- In non-stick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties in batches, turning once, for 8 minutes or until browned.