Buy your corn in husk, the best tasting corn I get is from the farmers market – stay clear of the husked, shrink wrapped stuff. If you like a little spicy kick add some chopped serrano chile to the avocado dressing. You can easily make this vegan by leaving out the yogurt in the dressing – I might thin it a bit with water or a splash of olive oil.
Serves about 6-8.
- 2 ears sweet corn, husked
- 1 big handful lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 big handfuls green beans or haricots vert, blanched for 20 seconds in boiling salted water, cooled completely under cold water
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, loosely chopped
- 1 small handful of small/medium basil leaves
- 1 handful of pepitas, toasted
- fine-grain sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium avocado
- Cut each ear of corn in half and carefully cut kernels from cobs. Combine the raw corn, lettuce, green beans, red onion, herbs, and pepitas in a large bowl.
- Now make the avocado dressing by sprinkling a big pinch of salt on the garlic clove. Chop and crush it into a paste. Place the garlic in a medium bowl along with the yogurt, lemon juice, and avocado. Puree with a hand blender. Taste, add salt one pinch at a time until properly seasoned. If you aren’t dressing the salad immediately, cover with plastic, pressing into the top of the dressing to prevent browning.
- Gently toss the ingredients with a couple big dollops of the avocado dressing. Taste, add a bit of salt and/or more dressing if needed.