This recipe will teach you how to prepare the classic potato salad with boiled potatoes, pickles, celery, onions and hardboiled eggs. This variety is an ideal dish for summer picnics and barbecue get together, a very fulfilling one. It’s coated with red wine vinegar, mayonnaise and mustard, seasoned with salt and pepper to complete. The good thing is, you can apply your own style and use alternatives in making this salad. Parsley is often used in many recipes but it can be replaced by fresh cilantro for a brand new taste. The bulky addition of hardboiled eggs creates a huge impact to the taste of this salad; it makes this salad more fulfilling and very high in protein. To achieve best flavor, prepare this a day before and refrigerate overnight. The time spent in preparing this salad is fair enough since the result is very flavorful and delicious. Now, here’s what you need and how to make it.
- 2 lbs potatoes, about 6 medium (910 g)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sweet pickles, minced (38 g)
- ⅓ cup chopped onion (50 g)
- 1 ¼ cups mayonnaise (275 g)
- Cup red wine vinegar (60 ml)
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard (10 ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (2.5 g)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- Peel and cube the potatoes. Place them in a pot filled with enough water and boil for about 10 minutes. Check for doneness by pricking potatoes with fork until tender. Drain well to remove water.
- At the same time, boil the eggs in another pot of water for 10 minutes. Drain when done and soak in tap water to cool. Chop eggs when cool enough to handle.
- Place the warm potato cubes in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss gently. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool for about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced celery, sweet pickles, onion, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked potatoes and chopped eggs. Mix well until mayo dressing is evenly distributed.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to one day before serving.