I love the textures in this salad. Quinoa is high in carbohydrates, but a complete protein source. The brown rice and black beans are also high in protein.
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (Red Inca or plain), cooled
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli crowns
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions (green onion)
- 2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. thyme (fresh or dried)
- 3 teaspoons Splenda (more or less according to taste)
- cook brown rice, quinoa according to directions. Cool. Combine all ingredients and chill. You can thrown in other vegetables such as corn, zucchini, yellow squash or pine nuts. It actually tastes better with a little more olive oil, but I don’t want to add more fat calories. You can also use a packaged vinaigrette product for the vinegar and oil.