- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 to 3 slices whole-grain bread, cubed
- 1/2 lb beets (about 2 small beets)
- 4 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 12 ozs spinach, well washed, stems removed
- 4 ozs button mushrooms, stems trimmed, sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill a bowl with ice and water; add onion; let sit for 30 minutes. Drain, and set aside. Place bread on a baking tray; toast, tossing occasionally, until golden and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes; set croutons aside to cool.
- 2. Place beets in a small saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain; cool until able to handle. Peel, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.
- 3. While beets are cooking, make dressing: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Whisk in honey mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Reduce heat to low; keep dressing warm. Add cooked beet cubes to dressing, and stir to coat.
- 4. Place onions, spinach, and mushrooms in a bowl. Drizzle with warm dressing; toss to coat evenly. Garnish with croutons. Serve warm or at room temperature.