A Veneto version of salted cod, baccalà; perfect with potatoes for a summertime supper. Watch Mary Ann Esposito make Salted Cod and Potato Salad at CiaoItalia.com!
- 1 – 1/2 pounds soaked baccalà
- 1 lemon cut into thin slices, plus juice of one lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced mint
- 1 tablespoon capers in salt, rinsed and minced
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium red skin or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 pound string beans, cut into thirds on the bias
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salad greens or radicchio
- Golden raisins or currants (Optional)
- Cut the baccalà into pieces about 2 inches wide. Put them in a pot with two inches cold water, the lemon, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer the fish for 20 minutes, then drain the pieces and set aside. Save a few tablespoons of the broth.
- Puree the garlic, anchovies, capers,parsley, and mint in a bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, the olive oil, 2 tablespoons fish broth, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Set aside.
- Boil, steam or microwave the potatoes separately; when cool, peel and dice them.
- Cook the green beans in lightly salted water until crisp tender.
- Combine the potatoes, baccalà, string beans and tomatoes in a salad bowl, add the olives and the sauce, mix gently, andserve on a bed of greens or radicchio.If desired, sprinkle raisins or currants over the top.