A delicious and romantic meal for two – pan-fried duck breast salad with ripe mixed berries and currants.
- 100g mixed berries and soft fruit (such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, and whitecurrants )
- 75g Salad leaves (such as Mesclun leaves)
- 6 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 duck breasts, about 175g each
- 50g walnuts, lightly toasted
- salt and pepper, to season
- Lightly score the skin of each breast in a diamond pattern, taking care not to cut into the flesh. Season the meat with salt and pepper and the skin with salt. Put a dry, heavy-based frying pan over a high heat. Add the duck, skin-side down, lower the heat to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes until the skin is crisp and golden brown. Turn the breasts over and cook for 5 minutes if you like them pink, or longer if you like them a little more cooked. Remove the breasts, place onto a board and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Cut them diagonally to make long thin slices.
- Arrange the Mesclun salad leaves on a plate and place the sliced duck breast over the top, one duck breast per person.
- Whisk the raspberry vinegar and olive oil together, and season to taste.
- Scatter the berries and currants over the salad and sliced duck breast and then drizzle the dressing over the top, before adding the toasted walnuts. Serve with crusty bread.