This is a tasty gluten-free salad that can be a meal in itself. It can also be used as a side dish. For lunch, I like to stuff it with lettuce and tomato in a high fiber whole wheat burrito wrap. Because it has a bean, seed and a grain, it is a complete protein and great substitute for meat!
- 2 ears of corn in the husk
- 1 cup quinoa (I used 1/2 each red and white)
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped celery about 2-3 stalks
- 1/4 sweet onion chopped fine
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 cup chopped Spinach or Swiss chard
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 cans beans rinsed (Pink, Black, Pinto, or Cannellini)
- 1/4 cup Hemp Hearts seeds (optional)
- 4 T chia seeds
- 3 T flax seed meal
- Step 1-Microwave 2 cobs or corn in husk on high about 6 minutes; after it cools remove husk, wash off silk and remove kernel from the cobb. This can be done day before-just refrigerate the corn in the husk until ready for use.
- Step 2-Prepare chopped vegetables and measure seeds
- Step 3-Cook Quinoa
- Combine oil, quinoa and garlic in sauce pan and heat on medium stirring often for 5-8 minutes. Add 2 cups water or vegetable broth bring to boil, lower heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat before all water is absorbed and add 2 T oil and stir well. Cool uncovered 10 minutes and the remaining water will get absorbed.
- Step 4- Assemble
- Add chopped vegetables, seeds, and balsamic vinegar to taste.
- Instead of adding more oil, to keep it moist and add flavor, I sometimes add pickle or Greek olive juice.
- Season with spices such as red pepper flakes, salad topper seasoning, or herbs.
- Serving Size: Makes 10 1 cup servings