Tabouli is a Mediterranean Parsley Salad. It is usually served in a bed of romaine lettuce. Bulgur grain is the basis for this salad. Bulgur grain is high in fiber, parsley is rich in vitamin A & C, folic acid and has flavonoids and is high in iron. Parsley is a blood purifier and aids in killing bacteria in your body. It also improves the digestion of proteins and fats.
- 3c (3 sprigs) Parsley, fresh; rinsed and finely chopped
- 1c Bulgur grain, rinsed and soaked
- 1/2t Salt
- 1/2t Pepper
- 1t Cinnamon
- 1/2t Allspice
- 1t Mint, dried or 3 chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic, cloves
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 4 small Romano Tomatoes, chopped
- 2T Lemon juice (add 1t molasses if lemon is too strong)
- Makes 6 1-cup servings
- Place 1c of bulgur grain in a bowl and let it soak in about 2-3c of water and set aside for about half hour or until the grain has swollen and doubled in size.
- Once the grain has doubled in size, squeeze out the excess water out between your hands and place it in another bowl until you have drained all the water out of the grain.
- Next, rinse and finely chop the parsley sprigs
- Chop onion, garlic and tomatoes
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and spices
- Serve on a bed of romaine lettuce