“I’m a huge fan of raita but I always find myself wanting more veggies in it. So over time I developed this recipe. It’s high in protein and tastes great. I’ve largely given up on dipping anything in it. I just eat it by the spoonful.
The recipe takes a while, but it makes enough to merit it.”
- 25 ounces nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 large English cucumber – halved, seeded, and grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- salt to taste
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Spoon yogurt into a cheesecloth-lined colander; set aside until most of water has drained, at least 30 minutes.
- Place grated cucumber and grated carrot in a cheesecloth-lined colander; sprinkle with salt. Place a heavy object, such as a bowl, atop cucumber and carrot to drain excess water, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix yogurt, cucumber, carrot, onion, red bell pepper, celery, parsley, lemon juice, mint, and cumin in a bowl; season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate for flavors to blend, at least 1 hour.