Mary Cadogan shows you how to make a Provençal speciality that’s the most perfect of picnic foods
- 1 country-style loaf , such as pan rustico
- 2-3 tbsp chopped stoned black olives
- 8-10 anchovies (leave these out for a vegetarian version)
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1.0 tbsp capers
- 500.0g ripe vine tomatoes
- 1.0 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4.0 tbsp olive oil
- Handful of basil leaves
- Split the loaf in half lengthwise. Drizzle both cut surfaces with olive oil and scatter the vinegar and garlic on the bottom half. Sprinkle both cut sides with salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and spread over the bottom half, then sprinkle over the capers and olives. Lay the anchovies on top, scatter with basil leaves and press everything down lightly.
- Cover the filling with the other half of the loaf and press down firmly.
- Wrap tightly in foil or greaseproof paper and place a weight on top for at least half an hour, longer if you have the time (4 hours maximum).
- Unwrap and cut into thick slices.