- 2 medium delicata squash
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey (or use agave to make it vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large apple, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery hearts (preferably with leaves)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, cut into strips (optional)
- Cut delicata in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds and pulp. Cut lengthwise again, and then into 1/4-inch quarter-moons. Toss delicata in a medium bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until coated. Spread out in a single layer onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once or twice, until tender and darkened in spots, 16 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine vinegar, honey, caraway, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave until boiling-hot, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir in onion. Set aside for 10 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Toss cabbage, apple, celery hearts, the hot roasted delicata squash, and the warm pickled onion dressing in a large salad bowl. Divide among four plates and top with walnuts and parsley (if using).