High in Vitamin C, and a wealth of other vitamins and minerals, this colorful appetizer will gracefully enhance any meal.
- 2 medium ripe firm tomatoes
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 orange bell pepper
- 3 shallots
- 1 1/2 tsp dried or 2 1/2 tsp fresh chives
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp classic Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup shredded green leaf lettuce
- Cut tops off tomatoes and reserve. Scoop out tomatoes, reserving contents.
- Shred lettuce. In a mini processor, finely chop peppers individually, placing each color into separate dishes. Finely process shallots, placing into a separate dish.
- Place tomato contents, chives, ginger, and carrot into mini processor and liquefy. On small salad plates, lay a bed of lettuce on each plate. Fill tomatoes with layers of peppers and shallots. Place tomatoes on lettuce bases, add 1 tbsp Italian dressing, and replace tomato tops. Place some peppers around lettuce bases. Add 4 generous dollops of liquefied tomato blend around tomatoes then refrigerate until serving.